The summer weather makes me want to find ways to spend time with friends outside. One of the benefits of living in San Francisco is its proximity to Tomales Bay, where there is a very well known oyster farm. The drive along the coast makes you feel like you are getting away from it all, the oysters are delicious, and the picnic spots are breathtaking.
1. Weck Glass Jars: I am a lover of condiments. My favorite way to eat oysters is raw with Mignonette sauce. If you are going on a picnic, make your mignonette in advance, put it in a jar, and pour it over your freshly shucked oysters. Epicurious has a recipe for a Chapange Vinegar Mignonette here and the food network has one for a Cucumber Mignonette Sauce here.
2. Oyster Knife: Gotta have an oyster knife if you want to pop open your own oysters.
3. Tray: Fresh oysters are best stored over ice. A deep try like this one, filled with ice, helps keep the oysters chilled and creates a convenient surface for the shells to rest on.
4. Grill: If you like a a grilled oyster, bring a barbeque and eat them straight off the grill.
5. Cooler: On the way to the picnic it can keep your wine cool and on the way home it can carry some fresh oysters for later.
Enjoy your summer picnics!